Saturday, September 8, 2018

On My Way!

I'm at the airport and ready to depart on the first leg of my Finnish adventure! I can't believe this is really happening! It's the first time that I have ever traveled alone, so there are definitely some nerves to go along with my excitement.
Maybe I should include some background here for readers who may not know what's in store. Just over a year ago this trip was a crazy, pie in the sky idea. For years I had wanted to apply for a Teacher Creativity Fellowship grant from the Lilly Foundation. These grants allow teachers to explore their passions and promote personal renewal for teachers. The right idea just hadn't come together. As I once again considered my options, my sister reminded me of the renowned schools in Finland and suggested I look into a trip there. Chris had always wanted to travel to this part of the world too, and an idea was born! I explored trips that would allow me to visit schools, learn about the educational system and culture of Finland, and stretch myself with Arctic experiences. The first part of my Finnish adventure consists of a language immersion camp in Bemidji, Minnesota that I am embarking on today. The second part will be a trip to Finland, leaving the day after Thanksgiving. I applied for the grant last August and learned that I received it in January. Even then it seemed so far away that it was almost unreal, but now it's here!
I have never blogged either, but I am hoping to use this site to share and document my adventure. Come along for the ride with me! It promises to be full of new experiences!
As I waited to check in for my flight a whole group of young sailors arrived. They just finished basic training yesterday and are heading on to Pensacola for the next phase of their training. Life is an adventure and filled with opportunities for continuous learning, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read more of your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Emily! You are very brave, and I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete